Keepin' On Motivatin'!

The weekend is over and with it the first bite of the elephant! Welcome back to Wyld Wyrds.

I've been working towards my first goal which was the Adam West Day festivities in Walla Walla over the weekend. I had purchased a new coat in a smaller size that I really needed to get into...and wanted to look good in instead of being a wrapped sausage! Gratefully I managed to get off most of the additional weight necessary to look and feel comfortable.

Obviously the goal that I reached is NOT my ultimate goal. A friend asked me, "So now what?" It's a great question and it's important to be fairly specific with yourself. It's always important to keep a goal in mind. We discussed "Eating The Elephant" concept where the you take one small task at a time to reach the ultimate goal. In my instance, I just finished eating...let's say the trunk! Now it's time to focus my attention on the next chunk of the elephant and in my case it's the next 15 pounds!

Since I do cosplay as The Green Hornet I've used both actors from the show as benchmarks. Ultimately Bruce Lee's height matches mine more than actor Van Williams who was Britt Reid (The Green Hornet). Van was 6' tall. Bruce was 5'7" which is what I am! While I do wear lifts while in costume, it still bring me up short! Van Williams at the height of the Hornet's popularity (as short as it was) weighed in at 165 which according to the ideal weight calculators was actually a bit on the light side for someone his height and age but there is no doubt that he looked quite dashing in his GH outfit!

What this has presented to me is another place to shoot for in eating the elephant. My next stop is 165 pounds with the ultimate goal of 145! One other time in my life I managed to get down to about 155 and a lot of people thought that was too thin for me. We will just have to wait and see how that works out. I'm older now and don't have the same muscle mass as before. I've often thought about the idea of being too thin. I think that as Americans we have become so accustomed to seeing heavier people that when we see what is deemed a healthy weight we have an adverse reaction. They're too thin!! Obviously there is a too thin margin that has to be addressed as malnourished, anorexia, bulimia or other eating disorders or medical conditions.

That is what's next on my plate...another hunk of elephant! It keeps me moving in the right direction and aiming for something...and we all need that to focus on. If you just say you want to lose 50 pounds (or more) it can feel quite daunting but break it down to small parts, it becomes easily doable. There was a Doctor Who episode where he's stuck in a time loop but every time he physically punches a barrier that is keeping him from escaping. Each time loop he does the same thing until thousands of years in the future he breaks free! I sincerely hope it doesn't take thousands of years but you get the idea. Let's eat the elephant one bite at a time and keep the motivation going strong!

Comments

Popular Posts