Competing In Life

Recently I was reminded that everything is a competition. Everything? Well it seems so. We all seem to have this need to be the best at...whatever. A recent political figure seemed hell bent to prove that everything they did was the absolute best. You read social media posts about how you need to be better at life or you are a failure. You need to have a butt like Kim Kardashian or a Maserati, or a yacht to be successful and attractive. What is all this competition really doing to us? Is it necessary? Is it healthy?

First...I readily admit that there have been times in my life that were about competition. I played in school sports with the winning and losing. I competed in vocal and theatrical competitions winning and losing. And there have been the odd writing or radio production competitions with winning and losing. What all this boils down to in my mind is wasted time and energy because it doesn't matter how the world perceives us but how we perceive ourselves. The greatest competition should be our daily struggle with ourselves to...be better. There's my new life motto and the driving factor in life for me. Be Better. Competition is healthy as long as it's with ourselves. How can I be better at X, Y or Z? It's something that I need to prove to myself on a daily basis.

The other day I was watching a documentary on someone who has become a motivational speaker after a life tragedy. It wasn't a very good film and I didn't finish it but one thing stuck with me. The guy asked a question. What is your wheelchair? Think about it. In his case it was whether he'd ever be able to walk or function in a "normal" capacity. My mind went everywhere else. My wheelchair is myself. I struggle with myself on a daily basis to do the things that I know will make me better but wanting to do the other things that won't. The wheelchair is the metaphorical competition we all struggle with.

Bruce Lee's "Be Water" comes to mind when it comes to this kind of wheelchair or competition. When you are faced with an insurmountable challenge be water and find a way around it. My personal outlook is the Elephant Principle. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Competition with yourself can seem insurmountable but with patience and persistence; a little flowing and chewing, you can accomplish or beat it. I'm twenty pounds away from my goal. I started at 230 pounds and even with minor set-backs, which can be devastating, I can see the goal. I can feel the goal. I visualize it every day. I get into the ring with it every day. It's the only competition that means anything to me and I will reward myself when I get there with a trophy. It will mean that I accomplished something...I beat myself.


Comments

Popular Posts